It’s that time of the year.
As Black Friday looms closely in front of us, we begin thinking of possible gifts for people on our lists. Books can be a great idea, not just because reading is fun, but because everyone has their own personal “comfort” image around a good book. Mine is settling in front of a crackling fire…wool socks, comfy clothes, hot tea, a dog or two at my feet…and a really great story!
But, matching up a good book with a specific person on your list can be challenging!
Here’s a list of some of my favorites in no particular order. I made a list of people and then the first book that popped into my head, I went with. However, there are SO MANY OPTIONS, I know I’m going to list these and then think of others, and others and others…..
- For the time travel or alternative history enthusiast: 11/22/63: A Novel
- For any university employee: Straight Man: A Novel
- For anyone interested in surviving crazy family dynamics: Why Do I Love These People
- For the critical thinker wanting a spiritual adventure: Ishmael:A Novel
- For anyone who loves life changing books! Dan Millman: Way of the Peaceful Warrior : A Book That Changes Lives (Paperback – Anniv. Ed.); 2000 Edition
- The book I played hooky to finish! The Paying Guests
- For those who love deep character development and great writing: The Bone Clocks: A Novel
- For anyone who has served or know someone who has: Redeployment
- For the great leaders on your list: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
- For all college kids: The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
- For those trying to identify a purpose in life: Man’s Search for Meaning
- For anyone looking for a different way to understand themselves and others: The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People’s Lives Better, Too)
- For anyone wanting validation that humans are…fundamentally irrational (or any economist): Thinking, Fast and Slow
- For the intercultural enthusiast who would enjoy a modern story of immigration, race and love: Americanah
- The book that everyone tells me I should read: Sing, Unburied, Sing: A Novel
Reading is good for the brain, good for the soul and good for our future. When you “gift” a book, you invite that person into an experience of self-care and relaxation. And what a wonderful gift to offer this Holiday season!
As always, you can reach Coach Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org.